festival: firefly 2017

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

It's officially summer! And what a perfect way to kick it off than with a post about my weekend at Firefly.
For the past three years, the one festival I always attended was sweetlife festival, it always took place here in my state at the end of May. Last June, I actually made a post about my third year going to sweetlife, along with some photos and a short montage video. Unfortunately, this year, sweetgreen, the company who ran the festival, decided that they wouldn't hold the festival anymore. It was pretty upsetting since it was the one pre-summer activity I loved the most.
But life has a funny way of working. The EXACT same day that sweetlife was cancelled, my sister and I actually purchased 4 day GA passes for Firefly festival in Dover, DE. 
We had always wanted to go, but the times, money, situations, were never right for us.
It was a sign really, lol. We saved some money and we got the chance to experience something new. It was the first time we drove out of state for a music festival, and it was our first more than 2 day festival, not to mention the grounds scale was massive compared to other festivals we've attended in the past.

A lot of people camped out, or brought their RV's. There were even a few who went for the more "glamorous" side of camping, glamping. My sister and I opted to stay at a hotel though. Hardly slept during those four days. It was pretty tiring. And the walk from the parking lot to the festival grounds was quite a struggle in the afternoon sun and at the end of the day. It was all fun though and ayeee, I got my workout of the year in. 
bleachers ft. fetus chris pratt
Thankfully the lineup for this year wasn't so intense. Most of the artists we really wanted to see didn't start their sets until four or six in the evening and the nights usually ended at around 2am. That way we got more sleep in the morning and had a bit of time for lunch before diving into the crowds. I think our longest days were Friday and Sunday. So the majority of the time, it was really chill. 
For Friday, the headliners were Twenty Øne Piløts. This was our second time seeing them, so we didn't really mind being towards the middle back of the crowd. 
I don't think I'll ever get tired of seeing them performance though. They played an amazing 1h30m set; they also sang more songs than the first time I saw them during their Emotional Roadshow Tour last June. Bonus: they dissed Coachella and it was pretty beautiful.

The food line up was pretty great. Of course, I couldn't try everything I wanted to. But the most delicious thing I had to eat was a bánh mí taco, which I couldn't get a picture of cause I was too hungry for that shit, but it was glorious. Later though, I went back for a bánh mí sandwich which was just as delicious. And of course, they had a little market place for goodies, such as art prints, bags, bohemian tops, camera straps, etc. I stopped by this tent selling awesome leather goods called In Blue Handmade. Check out their stuff if you're into small journals, flasks and leather; they also have an Etsy shop. I couldn't help but treat myself to a mini journal with an octopus on the front. I'm obsessed with drawing octopuses, so this really caught my attention even though there were a lot of awesome designs.

The Market
Some of the other acts that were just as amazing among all the artists we saw (in no particular order) were: The Weeknd, 30 Seconds to Mars, Jonas Blue, Bob Dylan, Muse, Matoma, Weezer, and Dillon Francis was a great finale to the whole weekend.
 I loved watching all the DJs perform; every time there was a drop, lots of people would throw glow sticks to the front of the crowd. Wherever the glow sticks landed, we'd pick them up and throw them again for the next drop. And it was such a cool experience that the crowd was providing awesome effects during the set. In the photo below I tried to capture it, but it didn't do it justice. Either way, it was pretty fucking great.

There were so many positive vibes going around. Everyone we got to talk to was so chill. At one point, during The Naked and Famous, we were sitting towards the back on the grass. And this pair of friends came and sat in front of us and lit a joint. Then after a couple minutes, the guy turns to me and just hands it to me without a word, just a smile. It's like, you don't need to know each other but we're just there to enjoy the music we love and have a good time together. It's one of the reasons why I love festivals so much. 
Honestly, I'm so blessed to be able to attend these festivals and experience new shit, and watch the artists I adore perform on stage and dance and sing loudly with the crowd. It was a beautiful weekend and I'll be looking forward to the next festival. (As always.)

the weeknd closing off Saturday night
All photos were taken on my iPhone and my Canon G5X, named Scorpius.
I'm making a short montage video about Firefly with the footage I got (just like my sweetlife video), but I wanted to make a more detailed post with photos first. So the video will be up a little later.
Anyways, hope you guys have festivals or any concerts lined up to attend for this summer! 


You Might Also Like

0 comments