monthly movies · may

Wednesday, June 07, 2017


Here's my list of movies I watched in May. 
And heck yes, I managed to complete my goal of 31 movies. 
Which means this list is clearly very long... lol. In no specific order, just categorized really. 
Also, like I said in my last monthly movies post, I won't be talking about everything. These aren't movie reviews; I'd be here forever if they were. 

SCI-FI, OUTER SPACE SHIT & FANTASY 
i. Passengers | 2016 ·  pg-13 · scifi/drama · 1h56m |
ii. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 | 2017 · pg-13 · scifi/action · 2h18m |
iii. Alien | 1979 · R · fantasy/thriller · 1h57m |
iv. Aliens | 1986 · R · fantasy/thriller · 2h34m |
v. Alien 3 | 1992 · R · sci-fi/thriller · 2h25m |
vi. Alien: Resurrection | 1997 · R · sci-fi/thriller · 1h56m |
vii. Alien: Covenant | 2017 · R · sci-fi/thriller · 2h3m |
vii. Predator | 1987 · R · sci-fi/thriller · 1h47m |
ix. Alien vs. Predator | 2004 · pg-13 · thriller/action · 1h55m |
x. Assassin's Creed | 2016 · R · fantasy/sci-fi · 2h20m |
xi. Elysium | 2013 · R · sci-fi/drama · 1h49m |
xii. Edge of Tomorrow | 2014 · pg-13 · sci-fi/action · 1h53m |


alien (1979)
Ye, okay, so I'm pretty late in watching the Alien movies. But Covenant's trailer looked pretty good, so of course I finally got to them. The only movie I had previously watched was actually Prometheus, mostly because I love Michael Fassbender and at the time I didn't even know it was part of the Alien franchise, oops.
I've seen a lot of people hate the newer movies. And I can understand their viewpoints but despite all of that, I really enjoyed Covenant. I loved the first two movies, Alien and Aliens, but Alien 3 and Resurrection... I just, it was not the same anymore. It's like they spiraled somewhere way different. But solid franchise.

THE INDIES
xiii. Hide Your Smiling Faces | 2014 · NR · drama · 1h21m |
xiv. Love At First Fight | 2014 · NR · drama/romance · 1h40m |
xv. American Honey | 2016 · R · drama · 2h43m |
xvi. Dear White People | 2014 · R · drama/comedy · 1h48m |
xvii. Little Men | 2016 · PG · drama · 1h30m |
xviii. Get Out | 2017 · R · mystery/thriller · 1h44m |
xix. Frank | 2014 · R · fantasy/drama · 1h36m |
xx. Macbeth | 2015 · R · drama · 1h53m |
xxi. Everybody Wants Some!! | 2016 · R · comedy · 1h57m |
xxii. 20th Century Women | 2017 · R · drama/comedy · 1h59m |


I loved 20th Century Women a looot, it was definitely a favorite of that month. It was so well written. Great, strong cast in my opinion. I loved the way we learned about all the characters' stories. But it was so beautifully tragic, especially the end, I almoooost shed some tears. 

I liked Little Men, but I was pretty torn up by how it ended. I didn't like that outcome at all. SIGH. Even though the ending wasn't what I hoped would happen, it was still a very realistic type of ending, and I think the story itself is a pretty great representation to what can happen to young friendships. Plus, I loved watching the two boys' friendship blossom on screen. 
little men (2016)
get out (2017)
Wow, this movie. So well done. I liked it a lot. The characters were amazing, my favorite was Rod haha. It was a perfect mix of eerie and fucked up. The ending was perfect. Changing the game on the horror/thriller genre. 

THE FUCKED-UP RELATIONSHIPS / (MORE INDIES)
xxiii. Lie With Me | 2005 · R · drama · 1h33m |
xxiv. Heartbeats | 2010 · pg-13 · drama/romance · 1h42m |
xxv. Un Amour de Jeunesse | 2011 · R · drama/romance · 1h50m |
xxvi. The Diary of a Teenage Girl | 2015 · R · drama/romance · 1h42m |
xxvii. Y Tu Mamá También | 2001 · R · drama/comedy · 1h46m |


un amour de jeunesse (2011)
the diary of a teenage girl (2015)
I adored the direction of this movie. It was enjoyable from the first minute to the last. The characters and story were great. I was in love with the way animation was integrated since the main character wanted to be a cartoonist and the story itself was based on a graphic novel. Definitely another one of my favorites.

ADVANCED SCREENINGS
(sometimes I get lucky and score free movie screenings, aye)
xxviii. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword | 2017 · pg-13 · action & adventure/fantasy · 2h6m |
xxix. Everything, Everything | 2017 · pg-13 · drama/romance · 1h36m |
xxx. Wonder Woman | 2017 · pg-13 · action & adventure/fantasy · 2h21m |




So, I'm not a huge fan of the DC Extended Universe movies. I just can't sit through them without getting bored. It's a shame because I'm in love with just about all the DC shows such as Gotham, Flash, Arrow, etc. Although they're not part of the new universe, The Dark Knight trilogy and some of the classic Batman movies, are still some of my favorites.
HOWEVER, I reaally enjoyed Wonder Woman. It's definitely the best one by far in the DCEU. Gal Gadot and Chris Pine had such amazing chemistry, I just wanted to see more of them together. There were a lot of genius comedic moments. And the level of BADASSERY in the movie performed by Gal was beautiful. The action sequences were great. Apart from the last fight scene; I think it dragged on waaay too much. And I definitely think there should be less use of the slow motion, but still. It was a top notch, fun movie overall.

LASTLY, MY MOST FAVORITE
xxxi. Swiss Army Man | 2016 · R · fantasy/drama · 1h37m |
I feel like this movie is waaaaay underrated to be honest. Quite frankly, I'm in love with this movie. AND quite frankly, I'm upset that it has a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 69% (though it cracks me up, considering how the movie is.) But anyways. I wouldn't even know how to begin to talk about this movie.
It's just, like, ahhhh, amazing.
I was laughing so much throughout the majority of it. Not only that, but it honestly dives deep into a lot topics, such as why we exist and the universe and life and death and what means to be a person, like?!?!?! Not to mention, I love the chemistry between Daniel Radcliffe and Paul Dano; I think they picked a great duo to star in this movie. I just feel this is something that deserves more appreciation and I really think you should watch it.


I feel accomplished watching so many movies in a month. 
It makes me happy. But I think for June, I'm gonna tone it down a notch..
Maybe.
We'll see, haha.

Anyways, go watch some movies!

You Might Also Like

0 comments