monthly movies · april

Saturday, May 20, 2017


I'm in love with movies. 
I took some film classes in le college cause the history and magic of movie making always fascinated me, but I still don’t think I know enough/have watched enough of the classics & whatnot.

But I got a load of time ahead of me to binge watch movies. So, currently, I've set a goal for myself to watch 31 movies (new to me) during this month of May. I usually try to watch a new one every night, or at least a good 2-3 during the week. So this is one of the first times I'm setting a legit number for a month, lol.

I used to make it a habit of jotting down the ones I'd watch, then I just simply forgot. I also keep track of them on icheckmovies. I came across the site a few years ago, and it’s puuurty dang neat (if you're a big movie tracking nerd like me.)

Anyways, this year, I've started that up again. I have my own list starting from January and since I'm currently on movie 19 of 31 for this month, I thought I'd share the ones I watched in April. Cause that's a relatively smaller list. 
But I'll probably also start sharing movies every month from now on. These are basically the new movies I discovered/watched in theaters/or finnaaalllly got to cross off my Must-Watch List. (I got a lot of lists. Who doesn’t?)

1.    They’re in no specific order. Just going to group them however I feel like that day.
2.    My movie lists tend to be long by the end of a month...sooo, I won't be summarizing all the movies.
3.    I'll definitely have links for everything though. 
4.    So if you think this is some extensive movie reviews type of thing, LOL you wrong. This is just a way for me to keep track of muh shit cause why not?
5.    But maybe there’s a title you find interesting though?¿
6.    Will most likely talk about ones I enjoyed the most. Or a lot, or whatever.
7.    (Not all the movies I find are actually good, beeteedubs.)
8.    Like sometimes you’ll come across really great sounding summaries for a movie but then ya watch and it’s utter shit. It tends to happen.
9.    Ya never know until ya watch it!
10. Everyone has different tastes, so maybe something I hate, you might like. I dunno?¿

Quick side note: I gotta thank my friend for having me watch From Up On Poppy Hill in February because ever since then, I've been pretty crazy about watching anime movies. I've always found some of the art style beeeeautiful. But I guess I never really had a sort of influence to push me to watch them before. It's a shame really. But I'm glad she kept insisting because I'm honestly in love. Thanks Elsie haha. 

THE LOVE STORIES & INDIES
bang gang: (une histoire d'amour moderne)
i. Bang Gang: (une histoire d'amour moderne) | 2016 · Drama · 1h38m NR | · I thought this was a cute indie French drama. The soundtrack is amazing, it was done by White Sea. I loved the cinematography and pacing. I felt like it changed gears on you slightly towards the middle/end because it didn't just focus on one specific character. I think that's what I liked about it. It was an enjoyable coming of age/romance with a satisfying ending in my opinion.
ii. Cashback | 2006 · Drama/Romance · 1h42m R | · Honestly, this one was quite boring. I appreciated it some of its artsy/stylistic choices in the way certain bits were filmed. But the plot was just a bore.
iii. Esteros | 2016 · Drama/Romance · 1h23m NR |
iv. Krámpack | 2000 · Drama/Romance · 1h31m R | · Loved this one. Two teenage boys spending the summer together in a beach house, and all that nice teen angst and sexual awakening gooooodness.

ANIMATED BEAUTIES
howl's moving castle
v. Howl’s Moving Castle | 2004 · Fantasy/Drama · 1h59m PG | · I don’t want to say too much about this one because I feel like I enjoy a lot of the movies that come from Studio Ghibli. Some of them don’t impact as me much as others, but there isn’t one I’ve watched that I don’t like. They’re all so beautiful in art and story telling. They are all worth a watch.
vi. When Marnie Was There | 2014 · Mystery/Drama · 1h43m PG |
Back in March I started watching Makoto Shinkai’s movies. The next three were just the last ones I watched. I feel like I’ve seen pretty much everything he’s created, apart from some shorts. And the artwork is just so beautiful. I’m so in awe. I can’t even express how much I love it.
vii. Journey to Agartha | 2011 · Fantasy/Drama · 1h56m NR |
viii. The Place Promised in Our Early Days | 2004 · Sci fi/Drama · 1h31m NR |
your name
ix. Your Name | 2016 · 1h52m PG | · I also watched this one in theaters (they screened it at my theater eep), but I wanted to keep it in the animated section. This movie was also probably the one I liked most of his. It had more comedy than the other two films which lie in a more dramatic and serious tone. The plot for Your Name kept me on the edge of my seat though.

x. Hal | 2013 · Drama/Romance · 1h NR | · This little gem is only an hour long but it’s sooo good. If you’re into A.I/futuristic romantic stories, this is for you. The ending is pretty amazing, it sorta blew my mind.
perfect blue
xi. Perfect Blue | 1999 · Fantasy/Mystery · 1h30m R | · This was actually also like thriller/crime/drama type of movie to me. It was pretty different from the rest of the anime movies I previously watched/listed. But it was certainly a very interesting mind fuck, haha.
ma vie de courgette
xii. Ma Vie De Courgette | 2016 · Drama/Comedy · 1h10m PG-13 | · This was my favorite movie of the month for sure. I was completely in love with the art style, it was so quirky and vibrant. Plus, I'm in love with stop motion, I think it's fucking incredible. The story was also very sweet, and it hit me in the feels. I'm still upset it didn't win that Oscar. Definitely give this a watch if you haven't.
ABOUT TIME I WATCHED THIS

xiii. Hacksaw Ridge | 2016 · History/Biography · 2h19m R | · I loved THIS. I loved this. I was so captivated. Andrew Garfield was pretty darn amazing in this role. And the second hour of the movie, once they hit the battle grounds, w o w. It was brutal. Amazing cinematography.

IN THEATERS · I feel like ya either know these titles or ya don’t. And if ya don’t, well just go click on the link. Unless the movie punched me in the gut and I NEED to tell you about it, wellll, I probs won’t say anything in this section for future posts. Just so ya’ll know.
xiv. The Fate of the Furious | 2017 · Crime/Thriller (according to google, okay) · 2h40m PG-13 | · but come on, the zombie cars scene.
xv. The Promise | 2017 · Drama/History · 2h15m PG-13 |

SHIT OF DA MONTH
xvi. Beneath the Skin (2015) - So, as I said before, not everything I find is good. And this movie was definitely NOT GOOD. The summary sounded interesting and I wanted to give it a shot. But the acting was horrible, the audio was horrible, the constant piano playing as background music was horrible. It was just bad all around. I would have stopped watching after fifteen minutes, but I have a rule that once I start a movie, I must finish, no matter how shit it is. I was really upset because the summary on IMDb sounded alright and I wanted to give it a chance. But just, no. 

WHEW.

Anyways, hope you didn’t think this post was a rank mess. And if you did, well that’s why there’s a ton of movie sites and blogs out there for you to search for, amirite.

Whichever the case, go watch some movies okay?!?
Amazing people create this art so that it’s seen!

(Then maybe come back and let me know what must-see movies I must see, yeah?)

(p.s. artwork created by me.)



You Might Also Like

0 comments