star wars celebration

Sunday, April 23, 2017


So, this past weekend, Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, FL, hosted the 40th Anniversary Star Wars Celebration! Basically four back-to-back days of nonstop Star Wars shenanigans. 

I was aware of the event happening, but I'd never had the chance to attend any of the past celebrations. And honestly, we (my sister and I) hadn't really given it much thought. 
But, Sunday night (April 9, four days before the celebration was to take place) we were sitting in the kitchen, talking about absolutely nothing of particular interest (as we do), and I was like, 

"But, what if we were to go to the Star Wars Celebration?"
And she goes, "I mean, couldn't we?"

I look up ticket prices and schedule and start thinking, "Bruv, we could totally do this."
I mean, hey, it's spring break, we got nothing better to do, it's Star Wars, it's in Orlando. 
The hell else we gonna do?

So, we buy tickets, we book our hotel. Of course, we only bought a ticket for Friday. It was our first convention, so getting a taste for it wasn't such a bad idea. And doing this last minute, it was completely cool with us. 

Interesting fact: I loveeeeee collecting patches and pins. I'm pretty obsessed. 
And I already have a few Star Wars pins & patches waiting to be plastered somewhere. So Tuesday, we spent most of that day Star Wars-fying up some jean jackets. Can't go to a Star Wars event and not represent, obviiio. The photos you'll see here are details of my jacket. (In the little video I made, there's some glimpses of my sister's jacket.) 

At the convention, we both received so many compliments on them. Which actually surprised me, lol, but mostly just made me really happy to know the fam loved them.

me sporting my SW jacket, photo by my sister
my sister, chilling outside of the convention center

Okay, but let me talk about the actual convention. Oh my god, it was amazing. 
a m a z i n g.
I mean, sure, it wasn't completely perfect. It was somewhat disorganized. Although it was our first one, we did hear from other people who had attended several of the other celebrations, and they agreed this one was probably the most messy. 

Unfortunately, we couldn't get into The Last Jedi panel. Which turned out to be fine, cause we watched the trailer with a massive crowd of fans on the Show Floor anyways. I'm just still hella upset I couldn't get my hands on the teaser poster. But, it's okay, it's okay. 

ALSO. The fans! The fans are precious. I love this family. I felt sooo at ease there. Everyone we talked to was so friendly and chill. Seeing the cosplayers was probably one of the best parts of the whole thing, apart from all the merch and goodies, of course haha. Honestly, looking at all the different fans there, of all ages: young kids to parents to older folks. We were all there celebrating the love of something so precious and dear to us, no matter how many years we've been in the fandom. We were all the same. That was my favorite part. The excitement and fun just radiated from everyone and it made me extremely giddy and happy just to be able to be a part of it all. 


That day was pretty tiring, not gonna lie. But we were so engrossed with everyone and everything that we didn't really think to photograph or film as much as I probably would have liked. But I did manage to get some clips into a short video. 

The experience was enough for me. Hopefully the next celebration is in Florida again, cause I'd love to go for more than one day this time. Overall, that was one of the coolest events so far this year. I can't wait for TLJ to come out in December, eeeeeeep.

Anyways, belooww, you can check out the short montage I put together from the footage I got.

You Might Also Like

0 comments